Brighton Hoves players celebrates one of their goals against Stoke City.


Brighton Hoves Albion played an exciting two-two draw against Stoke City in a Monday night Barclay Premier League fixture played inside the American Express Community Stadium.

This was a match the Seagulls showed a great fighting spirit, as they came back to equalize the score of the game on two occasions in both halves.

The first thirty minute of the match was a somewhat balanced game, with the two sides missing few scoring chances they created.

Ryan Matthew, in a show of good reflex action, brilliantly tipped over the crossbar a header from Ryan Shawcross from the eighteen yard box.

Jose Izqueirdo shot wide off the goalpost after tearing into the Potters eighteen yard box from the left flank.

The Potters dominated the last fifteen minutes of the first half; they were tidier in their passes and had more attacking intent.

Eric Choupo-Moting was a delightful sight in the Potters’s attacking line. The Cameroonian attacker troubled the home side with his dribbling skills and his ability to race with the ball into the opponent’s through tight spaces.

The ex- Schalke 04 man’s effort was rewarded for his industry when he scored the opening goal in the twenty seventh minute of the game. He skillfully controlled a Xherdan Shaqiri’s pass inside the opponent eighteen yard box, shook of his marker and hit the ball into the far corner of the net.

Pascal Gross equalized for Brighton in the forty fourth minute of the match. The goal was set up by David Proepper, who drove the ball  towards the right flank of the opponent’s final third and sent a cross into the eighteen yard box, where an unmarked  Gross sliced the ball into the net.

The Potters reacted instantly to the goal they conceded by shooting into the lead two minutes later through Kourt Zouma. A Darren Fletcher’s corner kick into the opponent’s eighteen yard box was mis-cleared by Bruno Saitor’s whose header flew in front of an on-rushing Zouma, and the French central have buried the ball into the net with a flying header.

The second half was a better one for the home team. Their passes became tidier and they were able to initiate their attack from the rear with their back four heavily involved in the link up play with their players upfront.

However, the first goal-scoring chance of the second half came to Stoke City four minutes after resumption of the game. A one-two play between Ramadan Sobhi and Joe Allen freed the Egyptian winger to shoot at the goalpost from inside the eighteen yard box, but Ryan Matthew made a brilliant save of the goal-bound shot.

Jose Izquierdo equalized for the Seagulls in the fifty ninth minute of the game. A quick exchange of passes between him and Glen Murray enabled him to shot at the goalpost from inside the six yard box, and he beat Stoke City’s goalkeeper Lee Grant.

The match ended without either side able to get a winning goal. The result of the game is indeed a true reflection of how both teams fared in the match that produced four beautiful goals.