Soccer Football - 2018 World Cup Qualifying Playoffs - Peru vs New Zealand - Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand - November 11, 2017. New Zealand's goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic stops the ball as team mate Michael Boxall pushes away Jefferson Farfan of Peru. REUTERS/Anthony Phelps

The Los Incas of Peru won the second leg of their Intercontinental World Cup playoffs, beating New Zealand by two-goals-to-nothing inside the Estadio National in Lima, Peru. The South Americans picked the ticket to next year World Cup finals in Russia on 2-0 goal aggregate, having played a goalless draw in the first leg match in Wellington, New Zealand.

The last time Peru qualified for the World Cup finals was in 1982 in Spain, so the wild jubilation that erupted at the end of the match was quite understandable.

Jefferson Farfan scored the first goal of the match in the twenty eighth minute of the match. In the build-up to the goal, Christian Cuevas dribbled the ball into the eighteen yard box of the Kiwis from the left  flank and then side-footed the ball to Farfan, who after executing two skillfful touches on the ball, shot the it into the net from close range.

There was an element of luck in Peru’s second goal. One of their second half corner kicks resulted in a melee in the opponent’s eighteen yard box, and Christian Ramos who all of a sudden found the ball in from of him , fired it into the roof of the net to double his side’s lead.

Peru came forcefully into the game in the first half, most times attempting to dribble the ball into their opponent’s goal mouth, but the Kiwis defended in numbers and they were able to contain their opponent’s incessant attacks.

The home team ended the first as the dominant side, though the New Zealanders threatened on few occasions with set-pieces.

On resumption of the second half, the Kiwis played a more open game, and Winston Reid had a chance to score with his header of one of his side’s corner kicks but the ball flew over the crossbar.

The introduction of Chris Wood added more incisiveness to the Kiwis’ attacking play, and he peppered the Los Incas with his dangerous aerial assaults.

New Zealand had a chance to score a late goal in the last minute of official time, but Chris Wood’s shot in a one-on-one situation with goalkeeper Pedro Gallese, was deflected out of play.

At the end of the game, the result of the game can be safely said to be a true reflection of what played out in the match.