Manchester United started the current football season on a winning note , beating a well-organized and an attack-minded Leicester City side by two-goals-to-one in a Monday night Premier  league fixture played at Old Trafford.

The Red Devils shot into the lead in the second minute of the match after Daniel Armantey handled the ball with his hand inside his eighteen yard box , and referee Andre Mariner awarded the home side a penalty which the captain of his side ,Paul Pogba,  scored.

After conceding the goal, Leicester swarmed into United’s half of the pitch in search of an equalizer. They won many set-pieces which they were unable to convert into goals owing majorly to the well-drilled defensive formation of their opponent.

Leicester City had majority of the ball possession, more attempts-at-goal and more coherence in their general play in the course of the match. Mancherster United’s players , still short of match fitness , were unable to keep out up with the changing tempi of the game as the Foxes searched for equalizer.

Leicester City’s Ricardo Pereira was causing all sorts of problems on the right flank with his intelligent positioning, lightning pace and dribbling movements. His link-up play with James  Madisson was a constant source of worry to United’s central halves – Eric Bailey and Victor Lindelof – in the first period of the game.

David DeGea made a spectacular save in the twenty eighth minute of the game to deny their opponent an equalizer.

Kelechi Iheanacho came close to scoring in the dying minutes of the first half , but his shot from inside United’s penalty box missed the goal-post by few inches.

The second half of the encounter proceeded at a frenetic pace , and both teams made few substitutions as the game proceeded. Leicester continued to play with the same fluency and energy level they showed in the opening half of the game but they found it extremely difficult to breach United’s defense line.

Peter Shmeichel was able to deflect a Romelue Lukaku’s shot over the crossbar when the Belgian striker was placed in a one-on-one situation with the opponent’s goal-keeper after he received a pass from Alexis Sanchez inside Leicester City’s eighteen yard box.

Luke Shaw scored for the home team with less than ten minutes to play inside official time. His goal , which had a slice of good fortune tied to it, came when he latched onto a Juan Mata’s cross inside Leicester City’s eighteen yard box , the ball took a deflection off a Leicester City’s defender’s foot and later landed in front of Shaw who curled it into the far corner of the goal-post.

Second half substitute Jamie Vardy scored Leicester City’s goal during added time. Pereira , attacking the opponent from the right flank ,crossed the ball deep into United’s goal-mouth area , and the ball ricocheted off the goal-post and Vardy showing a remarkable presence of mind and quickness of thinking headed the rebound into the net.

The Foxes tried to get an equalizer in the last minutes of added time, but Manchester United’s players dug their heels in to prevent their hard-fighting opponent from getting a late equalizer.